THE EYFS & YOUR CHILD
Early Years Foundation Stage - At Kids Rock Childminding -
As a registered child-minder, it is a legal requirement that I follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Framework. This covers the stage of children's development from birth to the end of their first (Reception) year in school..
The EYFS is not a formal curriculum but a play based approach to care and education.
Play underpins all development and learning for young children and the importance of learning through play is woven into the Framework of the EYFS. Commitment 4.1 states “In their play children learn at their highest level”.
The main aim of the EYFS is to support each child, regardless of their background, to “achieve the five Every Child Matters outcomes of staying safe, being healthy, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution, and achieving economic well-being” (EYFS 2008). Meeting the needs of all children lies at the heart of the EYFS. It won’t feel like learning – most children just see it as fun and play.
There are seven areas of learning which are all important and inter-connected.
There are three prime areas which are considered critical for a child’s learning and healthy development. In addition, there are four specific areas of learning which build on the prime areas:-
1. Communication and Language - Listening and Attention, Understanding Speaking
2. Physical Development - Moving and handling, Health and self-care
3. Personal, Social & Emotional Development - Self-confidence and self-awareness, Managing feelings and behaviour, Making friendships
1. Literacy - Reading and Writing
2. Mathematics - Numbers, Shape, space and measures
3. Expressive Arts & Design- Exploring and using media and materials, Being imaginative
4. Understanding the World - People and communities, The World, Technology
The Early Learning Goals set out what most children are expected to achieve by the end of the Reception class. By the end of the EYFS some children will have exceeded the goals while others will be working towards some or all of them. Kids Rock Childminding services strive to develop each child to their full potential before they head off to school, giving them a great start.
Give me a call:
0161 307 1530
Daily After School Care
Whilst I don't teach children after school (they have already had 6 or so hours of learning they can't take in much more), I provide an supportive environment for learning, somewhere to relax after school, have support doing their homework and can participate in activities with some of the younger kids should they wish.